Most homeowners often ask, “how come my dishwasher doesn’t drain?” Discovering a pool of lingering water in your dishwasher after a cycle is never good. The water usually drains before you even open the door. Learn more about why your dishwasher doesn’t drain.
Common Causes Why Your Dishwasher Doesn’t Drain
You can end up with a sink full of dirty dishes or a flooded kitchen floor if your dishwasher stops draining. Here’s what can be wrong with it:
- Your dishwasher’s drain hose is clogged.
- Debris can clog the filter basket and the drain. The filter basket is designed to block large debris from clogging the drain.
- Water will linger inside the dishwasher if the drain valve is broken.
- The dishwasher won’t drain properly if there is a blocked air gap.
Troubleshooting Lingering Water Inside Your Dishwasher
Furthermore, is the problem with your plumbing system or the dishwasher? Clean out the filter and basket. Is your main sewer line functioning well? Do your showers, sinks, and bathtubs drain with no issues? If yes, then your dishwasher is the problem. Also, ensure your dishwasher has a working power source and examine the breaker box for any tripped circuits.
How to Repair a Dishwasher That Doesn’t Drain
After troubleshooting the problem, try these easy tips to fix your dishwater that doesn’t drain:
- Run your garbage disposal. Your dishwasher may not be completely empty if food particles are stuck in the disposal. Fix this problem by clearing out the garbage disposal.
- Eliminate any clogs in your dishwasher. Ensure the filter basket is not full of food remains. Also, determine whether the air gap is not blocked and clean the filter to eliminate any missed particles.
- Ensure the drain hose is in good condition. It should have a tight seal, and use a wire hanger to loosen or eliminate clogs.
- Clean the dishwasher’s drain valve. If the gate arm doesn’t move, the solenoid will possibly have to be replaced.
After completing each tip, rerun your dishwasher to see if it drains. If your dishwasher still has standing water, it’s time to reach out to a residential plumbing service. Connect with B&D Plumbing to schedule a dishwasher repair.
Get in Touch With B&D Today!
Dealing with any plumbing concerns that require a professional to step in? Struggling with an absolute plumbing emergency that can’t wait? Let B&D Plumbing know. B&D Plumbing Inc. services the greater Washington D.C. metropolitan area, including Maryland and Northern Virginia. Get in touch with us by calling (301) 595-1141 or follow us on social media including Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Pinterest. As a small, family-owned business, we understand how important your home is—and we offer exceptional service that matches!