When your garbage disposal is not working properly, it can create problems (literally) down the line. If you notice a backup in your sink, or your dishwasher, or hear a telltale gurgle in other drains throughout your house, it is time to have your garbage disposal inspected and serviced. Because B&D Plumbing is a small family business, our turnaround time is fast. We offer 24 Hour Plumbing, and same-day appointments more often than not.
The first thing we tell all our clients is that Your Garbage Disposal is NOT a Trash Can! It is intended to shred scraps, not a pile of potato peels. Here are some tips for smart garbage disposal maintenance:
- Keep your garbage disposal clean.
- Run your garbage disposal regularly.
- Cut large items into smaller pieces.
- Grind food waste with cold water running. No non-food! Ever.
- Don’t pour grease, oil, or fat into your drain.
- Grind certain hard materials such as eggshells, small fruit pits, etc. Small pits only! Don’t attempt to grind guacamole’s worth of avocado pits and say we told you to do it.
- Minimal potato peels only. The starch will turn into a thick paste and can cause blades to stick.
- Don’t grind fibrous material such as onion skins. Fibers can tangle the garbage disposal motor.
- Don’t turn off the motor or water until grinding is completed, and run the water for a few extra seconds to wash and rinse the blades.
- Don’t put large amounts of food down the garbage disposal. It’s bad for your disposal, and bad for our water supply. Large amounts of food should go into your trash can, or (even better) your compost bin.
- Foods that expand in the pan (think rice or pasta) also expand inside your pipes, so avoid clogs and don’t flush them down your drain.
- Don’t grind large animal bones.
- Coffee grounds will not hurt your disposal but can accumulate and clog pipes.
- Don’t use harsh chemicals like bleach or drain cleaners.
Well respected in the industry, Bob and Dave are both members of the Master Plumbers Association WSMPA. Additionally, we have long-standing and personable relationships with the Washington Suburban Sanitary Commission WSSC, and Better Business Bureau. We stay on top of rules and regulation changes, so we are always equipped with the latest information about the how and the why. When you hire a B&D Master Plumber, you are hiring a quality plumber at a quality price.
Call us today for your Free Consultation! 301-595-1141