People’s most common kitchen problems are clogged drains in their sinks. This is often due to grease collecting in the sink drain. It can be frustrating, resulting in a mess and unpleasant odors. If you currently have this issue, here are some tips to assist you in cleaning the grease out of your drains in your Maryland home.
Signs that Indicate You Have a Grease Clog in Your Drain
So, how can you tell if you have a grease clog in your drain? Do you constantly pour cooking fats or grease down your drain? Another sign can come from the fats in the foods you eat. For instance, if you often cook with many types of meat or dairy products, the fats in those foods can get washed down the sink when you wash your pans and dishes. These tiny bits of oils and fats will eventually collect and clog your sink drain.
In addition, you might notice these obvious things if your drain is clogged with grease:
- When the water tries to drain, it makes gurgling noises.
- The slow drainage worsens with time.
- A rancid, rotten unpleasant odor near your sink doesn’t go away.
How to Clean Grease from Your Drain
Depending on your sink clog’s severity and location, there are several DIY options to clean grease from your drain. Otherwise, you will have to call a professional. Try these techniques first:
- Pour a pot of boiling water down the sink if you notice signs of a grease clog. This often melts and dissolves grease in drain pipes.
- Mix half of the boiling water and vinegar for slightly more challenging clogs. Consider pouring a couple of tablespoons of baking soda down the drain first. The fizzing action can break up grease clogs.
- This isn’t a long-term solution, but follow it with plunging after using a boiling solution. This may break up the grease clog sufficient for the water to drain.
Your Drain is Still Clogged? Call a Pro
If none of these techniques work, the clog may be too far down or too much buildup. Call a professional in Maryland to eliminate the clog for you when the grease is so far down the pipe.
Get in Touch With B&D Today!
Dealing with any plumbing concerns that require a professional to step in? Struggling with an absolute plumbing emergency that can’t wait? Let B&D Plumbing know. B&D Plumbing Inc. services the greater Washington D.C. metropolitan area, including Maryland and Northern Virginia. Get in touch with us by calling (301) 595-1141 or follow us on social media including Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Pinterest. As a small, family-owned business, we understand how important your home is—and we offer exceptional service that matches!