The anticipation of delicious foods and quality time with loved ones fills the air as Christmas approaches. While you are busy making holiday preparations, people often overlook the aftermath. The post-holiday cleanup can be overwhelming if you don’t consider what goes down the drain. Keep reading to learn the following list of foods to avoid throwing down your garbage disposal.
Keep These Holiday Foods Away from Your Drain
It’s no secret that holiday dinner comes with cleaning. However, being cautious while clearing the table can save you from problematic plumbing. So, make sure to keep these foods away from your garbage disposal this holiday.
- Allow fats, oils, gravy, and grease to cool and solidify in a container so you can dispose of them in the trash. Otherwise, they will cause clogs over time.
- Even though creamy side dishes and desserts might be delicious, pouring leftover dairy items down the drain may result in strange odors and clogs. So, dispose of them via composting or in the trash.
- Please resist the urge to dispose of meat bones down your drain because they may jam the blades and cause serious plumbing problems. Instead, select composting or trash disposal to avoid undesired blockages.
- Although vegetables appear harmless, their stringy nature can tangle around the garbage disposal blades and malfunction.
Tips on Keeping Your Plumbing System Functioning
Make these tips this holiday to enjoy a smooth post-holiday cleanup without worrying about plumbing problems.
- Place a sink strainer over the drain to prevent food particles from sliding down the drain and avoid possible clogs.
- Ensure to scrape leftover food into the trash before rinsing the dishes because this will reduce the amount of food particles collected in your plumbing.
- Consider starting a compost bin for veggies and fruit scraps to minimize the load on your garbage disposal.
- If you notice slow drainage or think there is a plumbing issue, consider calling B&D Plumbing at 301-595-1141.
- As always, a gentle reminder of what your guests may and may not throw down the garbage disposal can go a long way in preventing plumbing mishaps during the holidays!
Get in Touch With B&D Today!
Dealing with any plumbing concerns that require a professional to step in? Struggling with an absolute plumbing emergency that can’t wait? Let B&D Plumbing know. B&D Plumbing Inc. services the greater Washington D.C. metropolitan area, including Maryland and Northern Virginia. Get in touch with us by calling (301) 595-1141 or follow us on social media including Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Pinterest. As a small, family-owned business, we understand how important your home is—and we offer exceptional service that matches!